What is a Coronavirus? It looks like this
Coronaviruses are a class of viruses similar to the previous SARS which killed a total of 700 people years back. These new novel virus known as 2019-nCoV started in China late last year. Since then it has spread rapidly.
Is there treatment or a vaccine? No there is none, however Scientists are working on overdrive to see what can be done. Current treatment is basically management of symptoms.
- About 10% of patients progress to;
- serious Pneumonia like disease,
- kidney failure
- severe respiratory illness.
- Death,-despite the best of treatment-few cases
How can we protect ourselves from this infection?
- Make all people awareness of this virus
- Restrict travel to China for official or personal business
- Seek information from your Company Doctor for any visitors coming from China for guidance
- Inform your company Doctor for any staff or partners coming from China for company business in advance for counsel.
- Any workmates coming from China should work from home for 14 days upon arrival (as precautionary quarantine measures to avert contact risk to office staff); and inform Company Doctor for guidance once the time span is over, prior to resumption of duties.
- If you are working at the Airport and are exposed to passenger contact, use face masks during your contact with people, avoid shaking their hands and use the hygiene measures above, more strictly than anyone else.
In short, avoid contact with the virus. With this done, you need not worry about getting it!
Where can we report suspected cases?
The Government has instituted surveillance for all arriving passengers from China.
REPORT AS AN EMERGENCY 24/7 TO NEAREST HEALTH FACILITY AND MINISTRY OF HEALTH: DISEASE SURVEILLANCE AND RESPONSE UNIT TEL: 0729 49 14 14 OR 0732 35 35 35 HOT LINES 0800721316 (TOLL FREE)
Have a Coronavirus free month!